Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Replace your LED mouse

I had a Microsoft optical (LED) mouse for years. It came along with my new (back then) desktop PC. Before that I had a mechanical mouse. The optical mouse was a welcomed change, since it was lightweight, had better precision and I didn't have to clean a rubber ball and the rollers every now and again. But wait, it had a few problems. At random moments, the mouse cursor would jump on a screen edge or it would start moving across the screen without touching it! I was playing Diablo at the time and that glitch was irritating!

What was causing it? My intuition was saying that LED technology does not work well on unexpected surface changes. By that I mean that I don't drag the mouse too much, left-right or in circles. Instead, I constantly lift it a bit to reposition the device. With that technique I move the cursor wherever I want and the device remains on a specific location (it's a habit of mine which I find convenient); Could that mess up the tracking algorithm? Others say that dirty surfaces cause such effects. Maybe. Maybe not. I tried vainly various mouse pads with the prospect to stop the undesirable behavior. No result. Well, I don't care anymore.

About a year ago, I said to myself: "There must be better optical tracking technologies nowadays. Why not try a different one?".

OK then, I surfed the Internet, and I was surprised to see that companies like Microsoft and Logitech develop their own advanced surface tracking technologies.
I decided to buy Logitech Corded M500 Mouse laser device.

BINGO! Problem solved.

Plus it has nice touch feeling, backward/forward buttons and an awesome wheel with hyper-fast scrolling mode, which I now consider a must feature!

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! My led mouse has been has got mechanical problem. And my mouse have no guaranty that's why it's now garbage. mouse reviews

    ReplyDelete